14 February 2006

Flat Stanley!




I thought I did pretty well in 1st grade, but karma has dictated that I am to be assigned 1st grade homework to complete again and again like Prometheus rolling the stone up the hill...I still don't know how to color inside the lines which has been psychologically damaging over time, I suspect.

Ryan brought home Flat Stanley, who was smashed by a bulletin board (according to folklore) and his family subsequently mailed him around the country. The assignment was to send Flat Stanley on an exotic trip by mail, to an aunt or uncle, grandparent, or friend, and have them take photographs of Stanley doing cool stuff in a different state and write a story about it. It's kind of a social studies experiment.

Of course, I really dig this kind of project and made about 10 suggestions about crazy places we could send Stanley and have his picture taken (we have over a month). My friend, Mike D., just got back from the Czech Republic which would have been cool.

I mentioned this to some of my techie buddies and they all said the same thing:

"Hey, let's scan him into Photoshop and doctor some photos to have him..."

-sitting on the top of the St. Louis Arch
-riding on a yak in Africa
-On Abbey Road walking like the Beatles
-playing basketball for the Lakers
-Racing a NASCAR
-Sitting on the wing of an airplane
-Jumping up and down on the moon
-Playing guitar for Metallica

(you get the idea, right?) Seriously, independently, like 3 people thought of that.

My answer, "Let's wait at least another year before we teach my boy how to cheat creatively, okay? Next year, maybe."

So, Ryan wrote a letter asking for some help and we have sent Stanley on a business trip to New York with my friend, Marty. He's going to take a picture of Stanley on a limo ride, maybe in the ocean off Long Island, and also when they go into Manhattan for dinner on Wednesday night they can shoot him against the skyline--he promised great shots.

I also expect pictures of poor Stanley getting groped by a hooker, smoking...something, getting hit by a cab, and possibly buying crack. It's pretty much guaranteed.

After this, I'm thinking of sending him off to the West Coast to see what trouble he can get into over there...and after that...who knows.

Fran is scared to death that Marty will leave Stanley in Little Italy and Ryan will get a zero on his grade...

6 comments:

Stormfilled said...

Oooh, now that sounds like fun! I wonder if it would work with secondary school kids? Hmm.... *thinks*
Reminds me of the odd journeys taken by various garden gnomes who are kidnapped by students who send letters and photos home to their owners on their gap year trips.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hi Stormfilled!

So, you haven't given up on my blog, eh? (I know you've been busy--congrats (?) on the new car...

Thanks so much for stopping by...that gnome stunt is pretty hilarious, too.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

) (I hate the missing parenthesis)

Stormfilled said...

Hehe, thanks! I'm very pleased with it.

Nah, haven't given up on reading you yet! Just been a little pushed for time recently.

I think most garden owners around here have given up on having gnomes or ornaments; the kids are all too rich and send them photos of their accessories in far more exotic places than they would dream of visiting themselves.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Quixotic, Quixotic, Quixotic...I appreciate your kind offer. I've asked Stanley if he would like to come and play with your dog, and the offer fell, well, flat. Thanks anyway, though!

Good to hear from you--hope all is well!

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Update: Flat Stanley made it back from Little Italy with photodocumentation of his limo ride and the great blizzard that hit New York while he was there!

Now he is on his way to Aunt Nicole's in Seattle, where he may be invited to Ladies' night on the town with her friends (Please please get a shot of the space needle).

After that, he may go fishing with Uncle Nate, which would be great, although it would make me jealous.

Then, to San Diego, Houston (?), Idaho?

Here is some info about the project in general:

http://flatstanley.enoreo.on.ca/