25 April 2006

Our Love's in Jeopardy, Baby...

Has anyone heard of the Greg Kihn Band? Okay, that song really sucks. Best parody: "I have a Japanese Baby" and "I Lost on Jeopardy, Baby"

Fran records the game show Jeopardy every day. It's amazing how high a score you can envision for yourself if you calculate your score this way: Give yourself points for everything you know, or remember as soon as the contestant says the answer. Don't subtract for wrong answers. So she scores very well every day and she's ready to go on the show (seriously, and not just so I don't get killed in my sleep, she does know a lot about many things, including royalty, which I am terrible at: I don't know a James from a George, and if there were at least eight Henry's, why does Henry VIII seem to be, disproportionally, the answer to everything?)

So she told me some vague story about testing to be on the show, and how important it would be for me to be present. I promptly forgot.

I got held up at work one recent night, and then my late evening turned even later, and then turned into entertaining a colleage who was in town to help me on a project. I couldn't get out of it even though I tried--I was his ride back to the hotel and I got roped into going out for dinner. I came home to glares and was informed that Fran had to take the Jeopardy test online with an attention-seeking 2-year-old running around the house wrecking things to get a reaction from her mommy. Whoops.

2 comments:

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hi Q:

I believe I'm forgiven. My explanation was that it simulates the pressure of being on TV.

Fran told me that she had two ulterior motives: 1) She wanted me to chime in on the test with her (aka cheat) and 2) She had also signed me up to take the test, doubling our odds of getting on the show.

Reminds me of the movie "White Men Can't Jump"--I keep hearing Rosie Perez saying in her Brooklyn/Puerto Rican accent "Jeopardy ain't nevva gonna caull..."

=) thanks for asking!

Mike

Mike's Drumbeats said...

I do forgive him...what he failed to mention is that I like to watch my Tivo'd Jeopardy every night....sometimes with him, which is extra fun because i SMOKE him every time! - F