05 January 2007

Hi There, it's still me...

Tomorrow is the second anniversary of my blog. 374 total posts for an average of about one every other day. Of course, when I first started out I was a little manic about the whole thing and sometimes posted three times a day for a while. That's just the way I do stuff, sometimes.

I think over the past month I've really blown the average--I haven't really looked, but I feel like I've just posted once or twice in the past 30 days. Sometimes I feel like the guy getting caught and eaten alive by the alien--"just kill me!" (I'm referring to my blog here, not myself for all you literal types and/or Ted Bundy types).

The travel schedule went nuts there for a while--Arizona (woo hoo!) and then California (left Texas at 29 degrees and landed in California at 78 degrees--didn't want to go back except that's where all my stuff is...like: wife, kids...).

Lots of weird travel stories--I'll just have to catch up on them later. Funny things came from the San Diego trip especially--the first cab driver I had who was having a nervous breakdown or something--he acted very erratically. In the end, he parked the cab, popped the trunk and wouldn't tell me how much I owed, or get out and get my bags, which is really, really weird. After I retrived my bags, I figured how much I owed myself from the meter, fished out a bill and asked for a receipt, which he slowly filled out completely for about three minutes. Then, he wouldn't accept a tip (which I thought I was being VERY generous in giving at all). Weird.

The driver taking me to the airport was obsessed with talking about the Russian spy who was killed via radiation poisoning. A little bit of a downer, but intriguing. I asked him if he was from Russia and he told me he was from Bulgaria. I brought up Georgi Markov , a Bulgarian who was also killed in London (rough place, eh?) by the KGB, who supposedly injected ricin into him with an umbrella as he waited at a bus stop. I don't know why, but that's kind of a cool spy story to me... After being disgusted for being mistaken for Russian, the driver was at least impressed that I knew that story and that Markov was Bulgarian.

And I got hit on while riding on the plane--no, not buy a woman, but by one of those "hey, are you looking for an opportunity?" guys. A woman would have been easier to say no to--this guy actually has my Email address now and has been sending me very nice messages and wants to get together some morning to discuss his company with me. Here's a hint: I wasn't feeling well on the plane (allergies/stuffiness + pressure change = misery) , and he told me that he's been feeling great since he started taking some herbal supplements....

Well, I'll catch up on some other stuff later, including: Evil Quack dentist from Hell, Fran-tom of the Opera, and the gift orgy which is Christmas in my home. In the meantime, I'm smiling and I hope everyone out there reading is, too...

5 comments:

Stormfilled said...

Happy New Year Mike!

Potential ways to get rid of the nuicance emailer:
1. Start sending vaguely sexually suggestive messages about ducks.
2. Pass on his email address to everyone else and we'll all send him useful business oportunities.
3. Send one saying 'Look, I'm happily married with kids, ok! I don't want to play your sick, sick games anymore! I still have scars from last time!'
4. (optional addition to 3) Send another apologising, explaining that you sent it to the wrong person, but you've had a few problems with some of your consultants.

Ah, being a professional is fun!

Many kiddies here concerned about radioactive Russians too - I had one sick note handed in explaining that little Jamie had an upset stomach at the emd of last term and was so convinced that he had Polonium poinsoning that he gave himself panic attacks. Intellegent bunch, mine are...

gP said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MIKE! Thanx for all the wonderful stories and journeys. happy to have a buddy in you~!

April said...

...and many more years of happily ever after blogging. I always enjoy reading your blog.

Stormfilled said...

Hey Mike, did you have ice storms?! I saw ice storms on the news. But then, if you have got ice storms, you might not have electricity...

Hope all is well.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Oh, yeah...we've got ice storms. It's always a mess when we have winter precipitation around here--I think there's just one sand truck per 100 square miles!

Anyway, Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

Stormfilled, I appreciate your hilarious and insightful deterrant methods for those sales guys--not sure, but I'm a magnet for that type of people.

I'll have to update everyone when I get a chance--not sure if I'm manic or depressed, but not blogging makes me feel guilty-sad (is that a kenning?)

I've got weird stories of reunions with people I haven't seen since high school (wow, is that weird!), an altercation with a muskrat, and other self-induced awkwardness...

I promise I'll get to it soon!

Til then!

Mike