06 July 2006

Running on Empty

When i was in college I would pull all-nighters all the time. I worked 40-60 hours per week and took a full courseload. Even after college, I would get obsessed with different things and stay up all night working...One time it was a project. Another time it was when I was trying to buy a house. Other projects for my job have kept me up--I've survived. I guess I'm getting old--I barely survived today. My body is clearly telling me "Don't pull that shit anymore!"

Periodically, I would down something caffeinated to pep me up and keep me going. I had a crazy day scheduled--first of all, a meeting with a person I really like--it went well, as expected. I started crashing mid-morning, and I got into a kind of survival mode where I felt like I had a sort of tunnel vision--I could focus on one thing at a time, but wasn't multi-tasking as well as I normally force myself to do. I had planned the day out pretty well, so things went like clockwork. Or, rather as if I was sleepwalking through it--a passenger on a train.

I had to work with a co-worker for most of the day. A nice enough guy with the potential for being a little on the talkative, annoying side. My patience was worn, so a couple of times I "shush'ed" him while I was concentrating on a problem. My head was a dull ache. There was no retreat.

By midafternoon, the day crescendoed to a roar. I was busy coordinating the events of tomorrow, talking to Mike D. about a presentation, stopping for a brief lunch, and asking another co-worker to get some items ready for an important meeting in the morning.

At 3:00, I found myself in a surreal situation.

I can't give specifics--sorry.

I was sitting, completely alone, in a room, perfecting the performance of some pretty complicated equipment. I was totally covered--wearing a suit from head to toe, including foot covers and a poofy blue head thingy. Slowly, I turned my head to the left--next to me was a bank of incubators full of human embryos. It turned out there were hundreds of incubating embryos and eggs.

I thought of the movie Aliens--you know, the part where they go into the egg room and there are hundreds of those embryonic aliens. Part creeped-out, part humbled. How many souls were in those tubes? I got a clear picture of the molecules in the body passed down from generation to generation, without the confusion of ethics or religion or faith or emotions or trying to define what a family is in a social sense. Just in terms of lineage and heritance and the mechanics of embryonic development. It must be hard to people who work in such conditions daily to avoid a God complex.` Somehow, being in that room gave me a sense of power.

Those incubators held hope for those families--it was humbling, actually.

It's interesting what I was sensitive to when fatigued to the point of dropping my barriers...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is intriguing to me, this phenomenon of enlightenment through mortification... there are (seemingly) various paths to this preternatural level of perception.
The poignancy of this approach grips me - to suffer that one may glimpse Truth...

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Uh, Yeah--what you said. You know where there is a Starbucks around here?

Ho, really, that was kind of weird being there with a bunch of embryos--I definitely felt like I shouldn't have been there.

But with regard to your comment--I don't think I've ever done anything significant that didn't involve pushing my personal limits and moving outside my "comfort zone".

Anonymous said...

No soup for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
I find some information here.

Anonymous said...

Here are some latest links to sites where I found some information: http://google-index.info/3366.html or http://googleindex.info/1138.html