27 July 2006

"You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat"

This is one of my favorite lines from the movie Jaws. When I find myself against a seemingly insurmountable problem, I'll say it quietly. I'm not sure why...I have this weird, cursed brain that remembers odd lines from movies, songs, and books and spits them out when applicable (sometimes even when not applicable). The problem with this condition is that it makes it difficult for the afflicted to assimilate successfully with other humans.

Usually, I get blank stares. Occasionally, I'll get that brief pause, a flash of recognition, and a realization of meaning and the application to the situation.

The other day, I got a nice surprise. We were putting together a robotic machine that is very complex, and everything started going wrong--We were missing vaccuum hoses and cables and cords and nothing matched up. I looked at the mess and said "You're gonna need a bigger boat!" The guy I was working with turned around and started Quint's speech about sharks:

"The thing about a shark, he's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When he comes after you, he doesn't seem to be living until he bites you, and those black eyes roll over white. . . ."

...and so on...

I thought that was kinda cool.

Another cool, somewhat related thing--I got to touch a piece of the Titanic. There was a display of artifacts excavated from the wreck, including a huge piece of the hull. A smaller piece was under plexiglass with an opening allowing visitors to reach in and touch the piece. It was haunting and eerie. As expected, I guess.

If you get a chance to see it, it's worth it (yes <---That's a link on the word "it").

Want to own something that was on the Titanic? You can buy some coal that was on board. It is packaged in a small vial and hung on a chain. Good Luck?

4 comments:

Stormfilled said...

Cool! I don't think I'd want a bit of the Titanic though, you'd get too many "Oooh, I've got that sinking feeling," type comments.

JB's friends all compete to know the most quotations from the most films. It is a great thing if you can recite a whole film, so references are picked up immediately and extended. It always comes as a bit of a surprise when around other people they just don't get it. A kid accidentally quoted Wayne's World a few weeks ago, and I replied with the next step, only to receive blank looks.
"It's from Wayne's World," I said.
"What?"
"Wayne's World, you know. Mike Myers."
"Oh, you mean Austin Powers!"
"No, Wayne's World."
"Was that before I was born?"
Realised that it was. Felt old.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Thank you, Stormfilled, for beating Anon to that comment. Disaster jokes: A new low for my blog! :)

Top 3 Quoted movies:

1) Napoleon Dynamite
2) The Godfather
3) Cool Hand Luke

Honorable mention: Star Wars

Wayne's world was hilarious--I blogged it before: Alice Cooper's Milwaukee speech, followed by Wayne: "Do these guys know how to party or what?!" I think that to myself when I'm stuck with a bunch of guys who won't stop talking about work...

Anonymous said...

Hey! I resemble that remark!!! That was a perfectly good joke ;) Just got beat to the punch 's all.

gP said...

that would definitly be not cool...people died remember...!

Hemm movie liners are always cool...you jump I jump :p

But for now, we surely need a bigger boat to carry all the people who r interested in our stuff coz the list is increasing...