24 September 2006

Sizing up the Competition

I had an opportunity to go to a software training class this week, and I went--but under false pretenses. Not too much was covered in the meeting that I didn't already know. The truth is that the only reason I went to the meeting was to get a read on a group of guys--and now I know I'm in trouble.

It's really just a minor dispute over some accounts within our little group--I've got prime real estate in the market, so it makes sense that some people are coming after it and trying to steal my customers. It actually happens all the time--competition within the company. This group, though has been pesky and has resorted to a little bit of deceit and trickery, which has been annoying me.

His strategy has been to go way over my head to people located in our corporate office, then put pressure on them to let him have several of my major accounts. Then I was called into the office to justify every move I was making with each of these customers. My sense of their strategy is that they really want to shake loose one of the major customers, but their multi-pronged attack is a setup for the real negotiation that will happen down the road. Smart negotiators have a little patience, like a skilled chess player. One of my accounts in particular is very high profile and valuable, and so I think they will come back in a few months and just focus on that one. But, wisely, Bryan starting out arguing for multiple accounts, they will look like they are asking for a compromise when they drop their request to just one of my accounts. My counter-strategy is to let their initial attack lose steam, and then call their next move out publicly, which will take some of the effect away. Also, I have to make sure that I am diligently taking good care of those customers, which, of course, I am.

The last straw was the point where they complained that I wasn't working hard enough at the accounts that they wanted: They claimed to have inside sources who say that I don't come around and help enough--and that I missed out on a deal that was worth a lot of money. The straw on top of the last straw was when they held an open house party and invited all of my customers to come (but not me!). Did I mention that these people actually work for the same company as me?

I tried to dress very professionally for the meeting, wearing a conservative, well-starched white dress shirt with no tie, and I arrived early to pick a good seat. I had no trouble spotting the group as they walked in. The represent a faction within the company who is lobbying for more control, to include, as I mentioned, part of the territory I cover--they would love to move me out. Bryan and Ricky are their names. Bryan is the oily, well-spoken boss and Ricky looks a little like a sixty-ish caricature with a mop of sandy hair and coke-bottle thick glasses and slightly buck teeth. I quickly figured out that, while Ricky is on board for the ride, Bryan is the real problem.

Before the meeting, Bryan was very assuming and smug--actually, very charming. He quickly took control of the room and was introducing visitors to each other and dominating the group, some of whom were somewhat experienced men. No wonder I'm having problems with this guy. These personality traits seem to serve some people, the people who can put it to good use, well. I'm more of the stand back and observe type. I can't remember who told me that "Intelligence and money are a lot alike. The less you speak about them, the more people think you have." My personality is actually quite shy, which people who know me always laugh about. Once I become comfortable I can speak relatively well, but I would rather be cautious and know exactly what I'm talking about before jumping in.

Bryan had positioned himself verbally to be our resident professional, and he often assumed the posture of leaning back in his chair with his arms crossed, waiting to be satisfied with the outcome of the current discussion. Even his introduction of himself was delivered perfectly: He transformed into a soft-spoken voice, false humility, and looking down as he delivered his credentials, which were actually impressive. Also impressive was his haircut, a little too long and perfect and vain for his age--it was well-gelled. It was obvious to me that this is a very proud and arrogant man. A couple of comments that he made signified that he considered himself to be the voice of experience and wisdom in the marketplace, and he grew bolder and bolder in the meeting, challenging assumptions, smugly giving "pointers" and anecdotes, and passing judgement on ideas that he thought wouldn't work--and I don't mean in a constructive way--I mean in an extremely cocky way. Additionally, his whole demeanor showed that he is a little on the selfish, inconsiderate side. Alternatively, Ricky looked a little more like an Asian tourist--his thick glasses made his eyes look smaller, and he had a camera draped around his neck with a thick strap--(during our class, which was quite bizarre).

Just to clarify, the meeting lasted all day and Bryan's interjections were only about 2% of the total time--he wasn't obnoxious or overbearing. As I mentioned, he was actually a very sociable and charming person--in the same way that your typical Frat guy is, albeit arrogant and a little blind to himself. This is one of the things that worries me, though. He seems to really believe himself to be better than others, and that he is doing the earth a favor with his blessings of wisdom.

That's not to say that Bryan was the most annoying person at the meeting. That award went to the guy sitting next to me, whom I nicknamed the Grinch who Stole Christmas. I'm pretty good at geometry, and I calculated that Grinch stole 17 1/2 square feet of the table space where we were working, leaving me approximatley 1 square foot with the corners of my computer hanging off the edges. He looked like a pallid white version of the Grinch, and had a face that came together in a wedge-shaped line, and was frozen in a constant frown. Later, I learned that he had a lot to frown about--when we installed some things, he couldn't figure out how to drag something into a folder. He glanced at me as I learned the secret he was trying to keep--He didn't know ANYTHING about computers, except possibly how to turn it on. So, I figured that he felt very out of place, and helped him a little. I even asked a very dumb question during the class for his benefit, because I knew that he wasn't following.

When it was all over, I felt like I had a little insight into Bryan and his group, although I'm not sure what I'm going to do to counter their subversive efforts. Maybe just hide his hair gel so he can't leave the house.

But at least now I know what I'm up against. A fight against an oblivous foe who feels that he's right. A somewhat daunting task.

No comments: