19 May 2007

Dinner Conversation

We were sitting around the dinner table Thursday night, and it had already been a long week. Long hours of work, school is winding down, and we've got a lot of projects going around the house.

We were enjoying some light conversation, and I wanted to include our 3-year-old girl, Kaitlyn.

"Kaitlyn, your teacher told me that you are the smartest one in your class! I'm so proud of you."

She responded, "My teacher at church?"

"Yes"

A moment's pause.

"The Fat One?"

Fran was looking right at me and she involuntarily laughed out loud. She turned to Kaitlyn and said, "Kaitlyn, we don't talk about other people that way. It would hurt their feelings." (But, yes, that was the one).

Another moment's pause.

"But I can call it a big, fat, bunny?"

Laughing and laughing from all of us except Kaitlyn, who is taking this very seriously.

Another moment goes by.

"I think I'll just call them Circle People."

We looked at each other, amazed, and burst out into laughter again.

5 comments:

Stormfilled said...

Did you read her Calvin and Hobbes when she was in the womb or something? She comes out with far too much good stuff.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Ha ha! No, we haven't done anything extreme--we really just hang on for the ride most of the time.

The funny part is that we accidentally put her in the class for kids 1 year older than her, and she is still the smartest one in there.

Also, maybe it is that we pay attention to all the things she says, so we mine out the gems...

Anonymous said...

Oh she's too awesome. :)

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hi Quixotic!

Really great to hear from you!

We are always laughing...except, of course, when she gets us in trouble (eg. calling a lady a "stupid idiot" at the restaurant yesterday when she bumped into our table).

I have a feeling she might turn out to be a little bit of a drama queen, but I see other people whose kids are so boring, and I would rather have a lively, interesting child who keeps me on my toes...

...but we may have to amend that thought when she turns 13...

April said...

I LOVE it - I'm going to use it myself. I'm not fat I'm a circle person. Too cute! Send it in to Woman's Day.