26 January 2006

The dumbest joke ever, In Two Parts

A poor friar answers a knock at his door and opens it to see a giant man--a stranger, who is obviously a foreigner, standing in front of him. He asks for food and shelter for the night, and the friar invites him inside.

The next morning, the stranger expresses his thanks and asks if he could do something nice for the friar, who suggests that he might ring the chapel bell--the friar is getting old and it takes a lot of strength for him to climb to the top of the tower and strike the bell.

So, the massive man climbs to the top, and to the friar's surprise, doesn't use the striker. Instead, he backs up a couple of steps, runs along the think walkway toward the bell, and slams his massive head against the side of the bell, sounding a loud "Dong!" He backs up, and runs forward again, striking it: "Dong!"

By this time, the bell has begun to rock a little, so he misjudges the next blow, loses his balance, and runs off the belltower, falling several stories into the brick courtyard below.

By the time the friar gets outside to where the massive man lies dead, there is a crowd of people gathered around.

A person in the crowd asks "Does anyone know this man?"

The friar answers, "No, but his face sure rings a bell!"

----

One Year Later, the friar answers the door, and is shocked. Standing in front of him is a man who is identical to the huge stranger who died ringing his bell.

The man says "Father, I have traveled a long way to remember my twin brother, who I believe died here one year ago today. I was wondering if I could commemorate his death by ringing the bell in your tower?"

Reluctantly, the friar agrees and the giant climbs to the tower, and, surprisingly, uses the same method to ring the bell, striking it with his head. Not so surprisingly, he meets the same fate and topples off the tower to his death in the courtyard.

The friar hurried out to the body.

A man in the crowd asked "Does anybody know this man?"

And the friar answered "Not really, but he's a dead ringer for the guy that was here last year."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you can't see me, I will have to leave a comment, but normally my reaction to this absurd joke would not include words. So here it is:

(I just rolled my eyes and I am now shaking my head)

-D

BTW - that was a pretty good one.

Anonymous said...

this is sheer poetry! not on a par with the singing fish on my wall - but waaay up there!
this couplet is archetypal! a tragic tale of two brothers, both done in by bells/belles. perhaps a cautionary tale after samson&delilah or bonnie&clyde....um, well maybe not b&c...maybe lucretia borgia and...
i digress - but only my closest friends know this.
"Digression is the better part of valor"
right?
uh-oh - here comes Nurse Ratchett
ttfn!!!!

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Much Ado About Nothing comes to mind:

As Leonato did, I came to meet my trouble when I put that joke in my blog, and, portraying his subsequent sentiments, I now ask:

"Hath no man's dagger a point for me?"