02 April 2007

An Accounting of Books

Total number of books irretrievably loaned/stolen from me: 13-16

Janet from work: Stole my book on American Sign Language which was a gift

Crazy Lady who borrowed 6 books from me and never returned them including my Stephen Crane short story Book, London's Call of the Wild, Crane's Maggie, A Girl of the Streets, Henry James' The American, and Drieser's Jeannie Gerhardt and The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton.

At least four other novels, mostly paperbacks which will be easy to replace.

Two software manuals and another how-to book, I believe all of which are in the posession of relatives.

Fran then declared my book-loaning judgement to be suspect, so I had to refuse to let a colleague borrow her Complete Works of William Shakespeare (one of the few books which was acquired prior to our marriage by either of us--it's Fran's). The colleague, who was holding her hands out expectantly, was shocked and kind of stood there blinking.

Alluding to this issue, for a few years this was one of the themes at Christmas--One year, Fran got me a very nice set of book plates to stick inside the cover of my books. The next year, she got me a imprinting seal, kind of like a notary stamp, with my name engraved on it--now I stamp all of my books with it almost immediately--even the $2 used paperbacks I get. At least they will know who the book is stolen from...

I currently have three books out with colleagues from my professional library. I'm nearly confident that I will not get one of them back due to a semantic problem. I was recommending a book on improving verbal communication and brought it in to work to loan. That was about a year ago. Now, I'm convinced that maybe I need to improve my verbal communication--I'm wondering if I need to buy that book and re-read it so I can communicate more clearly in the future whether something is a gift or a loan.


Books I have stolen: 3

1) Swiped a General Woodworking book from my now-defunct private middle school. Not sure if it was on purpose or accident, but I ended up with it--Found it in the attic the other day and flipped through it--pretty much the worst reference book on woodworking I've ever seen. How can woodworking be so boring?

2) Another textbook I ended up with is my second year Latin workbook. I know I didn't buy that--woo hoo! Let's get crazy! agricola, agricolae...

Actually, I did see my high school Latin teacher at Chili's last year. She was really cool. I remember that for some reason I accidentally said the "f-word" in front of her. She gasped melodramatically and said, very quietly, "You just said the worst word in the world!" Then she winked at me and went back to grading papers. It must not have affected her opinion of me much, because of something that happened toward the end of my senior year. She used to tell us a lot of personal stories, and had a good relationship with the kids in the class. Latin students at our school were a peculiar breed, because we really had to go out of our way to take Latin--there was only one teacher, and almost everyone takes Spanish since we are on the border with Mexico. All the cheerleaders took French, for some reason or another.

The Latin teacher had this freaky thing she could do--she was completely ambidextrous, but took it one step further--she could write an English word with one hand and write the Latin word below it with the other...

But the class was asking her personal questions one day and one of the girls asked her what kind of guys she used to date--to my horror at the time, she said, "Well, I would probably date a guy like Mike..." I think my face was red for a week.

3) The third book I stole is Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s Slaughterhouse Five. It was the first anti-establishment novel I ever read, and I stole it from a classmate of mine who let me borrow in during our sophomore year in high school. If I ever see him again, I'll give it back to him. It's the only book in my shelves that I haven't stamped...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to an estate sale one day just on a whim and found a really nice copy of Shakespeare's complete works. The book dates back to the early/mid 1800's and has some nice illustations. The binding seems to be leather and is imprinted, the binding is actually what drew my attention to it at the sale. Next time you guys are down, maybe when the folks come down from Illinois, remind me and I'll get it out for you. When I bought it I acutally thought of you guys and how it was more like Fran than me. I'm into the lighter more mindless reading... not exactly the Shakespeare or Jane Austen type...

Stormfilled said...

I think my numbers might be higher on both counts. I had a friend who decided on a whim that she was going to become literary, and borrowed ten books in one fell swoop, then accidentally moved to Ireland. I'm lost dozens. But I've also aquired quite a few. Loans from people who vanished, school books, books from pub shelves...

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Nanarminda: I am still in possession of True Lies, which Fran and I borrowed from you while housesitting about 100 years ago.

I would love to see your book.

And, I'll try to overlook that by lighter, mindless reading, you may be referring to my blog (ha ha).

Okay, and to you Stormfilled:

I hope that 10-book friend is haunted by a spirit with dragging chains and the whole works...

I need a clarification on pub shelves (sorry for my ignorance): Pubs have books in them? How civilized!

Stormfilled said...

The older and nicer ones do! Many of the ones that haven't been modernised (grrr) have a shelf running right the way around the top stacked full of books. And one of the lovely things about them is tha since they're run by landlords, they really don't care too much about them, so if you spot a gem, offer them a few quid for it (hiding the fact that you know it's worth a hundred) and they'll usually be happy to let you take it away, particularly if they saw you reading it through the evening. Sadly city pubs have all been ravished by dealers on the same mission, but you can still find some really fascinating treasure.

The pub I used to live/work in had a great selection of ancient oddities, all infested with bookmites and slightly stained, but otherwise healthy. When they went to modernise it (grrr) several of us spent many happy hours sitting in the skip that they'd been chucked in, rescuing as many as we could carry. My prize was the 19th century Pilgrim's Progress that was my first bookbinding project.