10 April 2007

Childish Misconceptions

I remember the very first popular song on the radio when I was a kid--it was Wings' "Band on the Run", only I knew it as "Man on the Run". I'm not sure why it stuck in my head that way, but I remember hearing it again in the '80's and it eventually sinking in to my head that I had the words wrong.

I remember another time when my mom told me that I was a human bean (I think she meant "human being"). I was so disappointed to find that out.

Last week, Fran was finishing up the dishes after dinner when I walked into the kitchen. The kids were upstairs asleep, so I turned one of the kitchen chairs around backward and sat down, leaning against the chair back. The radio was playing, and she said, "This is my favorite new song..."

It was a really good song--I hadn't heard it before. It was about a "mystery girl"...It kept talking about a "mystery girl" and "wherever you are" and "it's you that I want".

After hearing it for a while--I said, "I think this song is about you."

She kind of looked at me funny. Very funny. And by funny, ironically, I mean that she was not amused.

I tried to salvage it, "Aren't you my mystery girl?"

"Well, they're saying 'Promiscuous girl'..." The name of the song is "Promiscuous" by Nelly Furtado.

Whoops.

3 comments:

Stormfilled said...

*snork*

Mike's Drumbeats said...

I should have tried to describe her facial expression--incredulous and laughing at the same time...

sparkleylips said...

Haahaha, that's very funny!

Didn't the BFG call people human beans? I remember my mum used to say 'casting nasturtiums' (instead of aspersions) - I only realised it was wrong after people laughed when I said it...