06 March 2005

Tuesdays with Morrie--condensed

I read 4 books this week...weird to say that, because it was a busy week.

Tuesdays with Morrie was not one of them, but there was a quote that was nagging me, so I finally looked it up--ended up finding 2 good quotes, so here they are:

Background: Morrie is dying of Lou Gehrig's disease, and trying to chronicle his philosophy of life.

#1 from page 92

"This is part of what a family is about, not just love, but etting others know there's someone who is watching out for them. It's what I missed so much when my mother died--what I call your 'spiritual security'--knowing that your family will be there watching out for you. Nothing else will give you that. Not money. Not fame."

He shot me a look.

"Not work," he added.

#2 from page 93

"Whenever people ask me about having children or not having children, I never tell them what to do," Morrie said now, looking at a photo of his oldest son. "I simply say 'There is no experience like having children.' That's all. There is no substitute for it. You cannot do it with a friend. You cannot do it with a lover. If you want the experience of having complete responsibility for another human being, and to learn how to love and bond in the deepest way, then you should have children."

So you would do it again? I asked...

"Would I do it again?" he said to me, looking surprised. "...I would not have missed that experience for anything..."



SO...now nobody has to read that book (it was pretty good)...

No comments: