02 June 2005

When nobody was watching, he sneaked away and...

Without going into it too much, this was a psychological test that I saw when I was a freshman taking psychology (seems redundant, but it's 4:00 in the AM). The test was, you are supposed to complete the sentence, which I guess exposes either what you do that you don't want others to see or know about, and also what you think is behavior that should be hidden...hmmm, interesting.

Reminds me that I was going to do an entry of my most embarrassing moments at some point, but they were, well, too embarrassing...

Thanks for tolerating my overly sentimental entry yesterday. Sometimes it's good to go there...

I may be signing off for a couple of days--I'll be traveling--but I'll update you when I can.

I think I have been provided with a glimpse at an alcoholic's world, at least in a small way. Last year, I made a commitment to myself to no longer eat food from Jack in the Box. A couple of reasons: desire to be less of a lard-ass is the primary one.

My friend, Robert, while we were in high school, introduced me to the Ultimate Cheeseburger, and I was immediately hooked. Apparently, seriously, it has the amount of fat that the USDA recommends for you for an entire week! Damn you, Robert. I love those things, and can't get enough. Then, there are their Jalapeno poppers. What are these things essentially? Fried cheese with a sliver of jalapeno (I'm not taking 30 minutes to figure out the cute way to put the tilde on top of the n by the way--just use your imagination).

So back to my commitment--I quit Jack in the Box cold turkey back in December. Since then, every time I've driven by it I get this weird feeling, like I never got to say good bye and I have unresolved issues. Like the girlfriend I had for a brief time in college that I broke up with by just moving one day and never calling her back...that was kind of ugly, wasn't it?

There were even times when I would traditionally get Jack in the Box--like when I would go out of town. So, naturally, when I went out of town I would really start to crave an ultimate cheeseburger (I call them Ultimate Deathburgers because of the fat gram thing).

Tuesday, I broke down and got an ultimate cheeseburger and order of jalapeno poppers. And then again yesterday. And I'm kind of getting hungry right now writing this...Somebody stop the madness!!!!!

After eating these, it feels gross like I just ate a bucket of crisco (including the bucket). I've gotta get back on the wagon.

I went and saw the new Star Wars movie (episode III). Guess those guys that camped out for years or whatever kinda overdid it...Hope it was worth it.

So, one day, when nobody was watching...

This was the funny part, and it's never happened to me before--I was the ONLY one in the theater! How could this place make $$ doing that? I was a little afraid when I found myself alone in there. However, the theater smelled like the inside of a kid's shoe, that sickly sweet sweaty smell--uh, gross. Almost so gross that I wouldn't eat an ultimate cheeseburger off the floor of it.

Here's my theory: This movie is the best made movie of all 6. It's unfortunate that the special effects and computer graphics capabilities crescendoed in an odd order of the story's telling. I really love how the movie storyline takes you through the deception that Anakin goes through to become Darth Vader (hope I didn't give anything away there...ha ha, especially since I'm the last one to see this movie). It's almost as though you can relate to him with only one small leap of faith in believability where he attacks Samuel L. Jackson...then the quite disturbing point of no return in the movie where he kills all the Jedi.

But back to the consequences of advanced special effects: One example is that computer graphics enable George Lucas to insert a bazillion people and little ships and stuff into each scene now and have them move independently. In Star Wars (episode IV) there are instances of the grandiose scale (which they did with like a flashlight and a set of watercolors from Target), but it's not present in every scene. In the original Star Wars there is more emphasis on the primary characters and the scenery within the 10-20 feet directly around them--more physical acting which enables the actors to respond to what's going on around them.

Which brings me to my next point--I would really like to get one of those Natalie Portman robots that they had do all the acting...what the heck is that all about? Very, very stiff acting, to the point of distracting (yes, my Jesse Jackson rhyming is on purpose).

Fran's theory: The 3 new movies lack the dimension of Han Solo. The random, maverick, good-looking guy for comic relief gave believability to the movie and made it more personal with kind of an anti-hero effect.

(Please don't like Fran's theory better than mine--it'll go right to her head). Damn it, she's right, isn't she?

No comments: