02 December 2005

Hey There, Gift Horse, Lemme see them molars...

My mother-in-law is a saint--she comes over and helps us out all the time with watching the kids.

For some reason, she needs to hold a prop whenever she's in our house. She walks in and goes straight to the kitchen and starts cleaning....even if it's already clean. I try not to take this the wrong way--like as a criticism that our kitchen isn't clean enough or something....

If there is laundry to do, she somehow finds it--no matter how hard we try to hide it (I suspect Fran doesn't try too hard). Not sure why, but it creeps me out a little to see her folding my underwear...

Another quirky thing--she is completely incapable of allowing my daughter to cry for any length of time. Anyone with kids knows that this is just a fact. So...Kaitlyn knows that when "Ita" is over, she is free from naptime as long as she just cries. Fran and I came back one night at 10:30 and there's Kaitlyn, bleary-eyed and nearly comatose, sitting in Ita's lap. When we ask her to babysit during the day occasionally, we have to budget a time to swing by and put Kaitlyn down for her nap. We're going out of town for a few days in a few weeks--I wonder if the child will sleep at all...
We also have an odd relationship where she asks me questions in Spanish and I answer her in English. She does that with all of her nine kids, too. That one is a little puzzling.

But the funniest thing is that my mother-in-law puts things back in weird spots. Like the measuring cups in the refrigerator, plates in the cabinet for pots and pans...I think it's a combination of Fran having every variety of kitchen utensil on the planet and her mom pretending that she is putting things away in her own kitchen.
When I run across a wooden spoon stacked on top of my coffee mugs, it's almost as though I can hear her say "Now, doesn't this go better here? Why would you think of putting coffee mugs in here?"
Yesterday she wedged a packet of fish food behind a picture frame in Ryan's room, thinking "That's a great spot! Now it's completely out of the way..."

No comments: