06 December 2005

Things I Can't Write About

My blog has been a great outlet this year to journal what's going on. Even when I don't think it's significant, it can be: I was printing out my blog (like 600 pages or so!) and I noted where Kaitlyn said her first two word sentance (pointed to toilet and exclaimed "Dis yucky!"). That was the kind of cool thing you forget about.

No matter how hard I try, I can't bring myself to comment on some things--thought I would jot them down...

1) Politics (yawn)

2) Anything too romantic (Two reasons: 1) I'm a little to inhibited about things like that and 2) Fran has forbidden disclosure of anything too personal in exchange for never complaining about my blogging time). So, even if I completely make something up, it will either be too like our situation for Fran's comfort, or so unlike it as to make her suspicious....

3) Anything too critical of someone who may read my blog (afraid of sniper fire)

4) Any personal stories about people it may get back to (trust me, this cuts my material in half).

5) Stories that are self-deprecating without my having won a moral victory somewhere (I'll try to think of one ;) ) .

6) No matter how hard I try, I can't write in anything other than first person without feeling very self-conscious. I think I'm too polite to ask other characters to do anything against their will...

7) Lately, I've been too self-conscious to write about anything that leaves my true feelings exposed. That's depressing. Actually, I think the truth is that I've always been that way, but maybe I'm just now realizing it.

In short, I feel myself winding down. Maybe I've painted myself into a corner by inviting too many friends to read (if you're one of these friends, don't feel self-conscious--I don't mean you specifically (ha ha--see what I mean). Of course, you heartless bastards never leave comments, though, you just blurt them out to me in passing...

This could also be just the time of year, or even just the way I feel today. Sometimes the feeling strikes me that I will never have anything to write about again--then a couple of days later about three or four different ideas wash over me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enough whining...here is a comment:

I'm actually quite impressed with the thought that goes into your blog. Knowing how busy you are, I know you have to write fast, which is why it is so impressive that you have such a thoughtful blog.

I also appreciate that you don't tell all of those embarrassing stories about me - the heap of material is huge and probably tempting! I know the day will come that you run out of stuff to write about and you will tell the bullnettle story...

Don (aka - heartless bastard)

gP said...

You have good blogging ethics. And your writings are good as it is. Sometimes being a simple journal is better than making things too complex.

Happy days!

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hey Guys:

Thanks for the compliments...very nice.

Don (my brother): If I had a picture of the Bull-Nettle incident you might make my cut and be featured.

Plus: you always think I'm making fun of you, so I'm careful...

What I was really thinking about that I can't print were: Pizza in the swimming pool, the time you discovered the lost treasure in our neighborhood, and the Llama and the shrink-wrap...

GP: Thanks again, buddy! As always, I'm keeping it real....real dumb.

MIke

Miles' Mom said...

I am a faithful reader and comment infrequently. For that, I apologize. I love stopping by and reading your blog because it is so thoughtful and sometimes provacative. Keep blogging, and I'll keep reading (and commenting too!). Happy Holidays!
Cheers,
mm

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hi MM!

Oh, I hope to God my blog didn't have a whiney tone to it about comments--although, as I'm sure you other bloggers know, sometimes it is nice to know how something goes over.

Sometimes it's like broadcasting out into space...

"Is anybody out there?"

Then, like my "slightly gross" post--there's little to say...

Anyway, thanks for stopping by and saying "Hi!" I was really glad to know that Miles is feeling better.