20 December 2005

Opposing Points of View

Overwhelming Proof that I'm mellowing out as I get older:

Ryan's friends were over playing while I was out of town. Ryan says that one of the boys was trying to keep them all out of Kaitlyn's room, which is empty because Fran is still hand-painting flowers on the wall. In trying to keep them out, the boy piled a bunch of paint cans against the door, which the other boys knocked over, spilling a gallon of white paint on the carpet.

I walked in a week later to the hardened layer of paint across a square yard in the room. I laughed and thought to myself "You know, I bet we could replace the carpet in here with something that goes much better with the room."

Overwhelming Proof that I'm still a high-strung jerk sometimes:

It was time for Ryan to go to sleep, and he wasn't listening to my requests that he get into bed. Although I am a little worried that he's been sleep deprived because he stayed with some friends while we were out of town, I have been more irritated with his not listening to me, and he was just playing without acknowledging that I was talking to him.

So, instead of patiently explaining again to him that it was time to go to bed, I reached out, grabbed the cable, and unplugged his video game from the TV while he was playing it. He didn't really say anything, but I could tell it really hurt his feelings.

After I had put him in bed, I thought to myself: This isn't the kind of dad I want to be. That just seemed like such a violent and ugly way to treat my son, and I really regretted it.

4 comments:

gP said...

A Merry Christmas and a wonderfull New year to you Mike. sorry could not come often, im back home now and dont have proper net connection. Have fun and say hi to the family. Hope youll have a fun time. Travel safely.

Love always.

Stormfilled said...

Hiya Mike, just stopping by to say Merry Christmas! Hope you all have a lovely festive time, and a happy new year.

Stormfilled xx

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hello, GP and Stormfilled:

Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hello. It's been nice getting to "know" you both this year through your writing.

I wish you both a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

gP said...

HAve a wonderful new year Mike. May god bless you and your family. Keep on writing great posts.