16 August 2006

Snakes on a Plane!

Okay, that's a movie I'm not going to go see...EVER! I guess someone is trying to give me a heart attack. I really don't even like snakes in the zoo.

Last week, Fran called to tell me that she was leaving her friend's house and a 4-foot snake was crawling over the road slowly. She rolled over it and felt a crunch. Then she stopped and put the car in reverse. No crunch. She looked over to see it lying in the grass on the side of the road, hissing.

She asked me to star in "CSI: Reptilia" and go to see if the body of the snake was still there. I found the scene of the crime, a big splat on the road with a slithering blood trail leading off the road. I extrapolated the path to where it could hide in cover, looking carefully as I walked--then I spotted it. The snake had actually died in the process of crawling over a short garden fence, so half of its body was on one side, and half on the other. Decidedly gross.

I called her and reported "One down..."

Now for something completely different....

I'm not sure where I get the reputation for being rough on my stuff, but I've earned that rap somehow. I think I have at least a semblance of light touch in my hands, and I'm pretty dextrous, but nevertheless I seem to get jabs....

Fran: "Hey, Bull! The China Shop called--they were wondering when you were coming back in..."

So, when I traded my phone in for one of those nice, new palm phones with the stylus (you know, one of those pen-thingies that you use to select on the menu screen--detachable/highly loseable), Fran's response was "Wow! That's neat. I'll give you two days before you lose that stylus..."

My work partner, Joe: "I'll set the over/under on you losing that stylus at two weeks." But we didn't set a dollar amount. Mostly, I must say, because I was a little doubtful myself.

I've had it 24 hours now, and I've already dropped it onto the floorboard of my car and had to rummage around for it in the 100-degree heat. Twice.

Today, I was returning from a pretty long day. I was walking up to my car and spotted my stylus on the ground next to my car tire. I looked around to make sure no one was watching, then, embarrassed, I reached down quickly and grabbed it. Whew! Dodged a bullet--I almost didn't make it 24 hours...

Then I went to put it into the holder in my phone and was shocked to learn that my stylus was still in place. Somehow, I found a duplicate of the EXACT SAME stylus that goes with the phone. On the ground next to my car. It is actually a little scary and puzzling, but I'm just going with it. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but do I get to collect double if I hang on to it for the whole term of the betting period?

Fran's explanation: "God gave you an over/under of 1 day!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm - you may have caught up with your future-self... if those styli occupy the same time-space we are all doomed!!!!

btw - i NEED to see that phone!!!!

AND... this gps thing is too cool!

AND... well, you *know* what I was going to say about the snake.

"more later, and film at ten - now to you Jim, how is the weekend shaping up?"

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Yeah, that's funny--but how do I get them up to 88 miles per hour to generate the 1.21 gigawatts?

well...anyway. I declare a 10-foot snake-free zone around myself--like an inverted "Pigpen" from Peanuts.

Good thing about GPS's--at least you know how lost you are when you get lost. I tried to punch up a map on mine and it just read "Damn, boy, what are you doing over here?"

Stormfilled said...

When I saw the trailer for Snakes on a Plane I stared in stunned bewilderment and thought they were joking. Which twit thought of that?!

"Hmm, people don't like snakes, and they are wary of air travel at the moment. What could we make a film about...? Wait! I've got it!"

It worries me that someone spent money making it. It worries me more that some people will spend money to see it. What's next? Wasps in an Airport? Bats in a Highrise Building? The possibilities are endless.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

"Sheikhs on a Plane"???

ba-da-bing...Yo!