31 October 2005

Scenes from Yet Another Weekend Hike

After last week's hike in Oklahoma, I wanted to take Ryan (my 6-year-old boy) on a day hike to see how he might hold up on a longer walk/backpacking trip in the woods--We went to "Fossilmania"--kinda freaky-looking fossil hunters hanging out in a convention center selling each other fossils for 100 bucks apiece (Overheard: "That's an incredibly intact Megaladont, Phil!") . I paid my $1 for a grab bag of 10 common fossils for Ryan, who was thrilled. Then we went back to Dinosaur Valley State Park nearby in Glen Rose, TX and looked at dino tracks frozen in the river and hiked on the trails in the Texas hills.

You may remember a similar "Ryan being chased by a T-Rex" picture to this from a previous post, but we couldn't resist...he's a ham, isn't he?

Tucked away at the trailhead by the Paluxy River is this oak tree--I practically expected it to speak to us--it has great character, doesn't it?


This is Ryan crossing the river along the "main" (large rock) route--later, he kept taking gradually smaller and smaller "side" routes on the tiny rocks until he finally fell in (I knew this would happen and brought an extra change of pants and shoes).

Below: our photos on a bench at the top of the hill we were climbing later that day...



Leaving the trail, we ran across this armadillo, who stood still long enough for me to fish my camera out of my backpack. Total wildlife spotted today: 1 deer, 1 snake (!), 1 armadillo. Ryan crashed out--I think maybe next year he'll be ready for a longer hike...

I promise I'm turning my blog into Field & Stream -- It's just the topic at hand for the last week...


No comments: