17 November 2005

Humbled

It's almost as though I was set up.

Everyone has work problems, disagreements at home, and annoying occurrances like getting your car door-dinged. So what if it happens to you all on the same day?

I also got lots of good news the same day. I just felt compelled to put all the "bad" stuff together because I wanted to get it out of my system and move on. But maybe it gave the wrong impression that I don't appreciate the good things in life.

A lot of criticism that I hear about blogs is that they are trivial and self-important, poorly written, and overly dramatic. There's even a group of guys on the radio who read fake blog entries mocking this style of writing altogether. Is my website this way? Is it time to end the project? It's been a good run of nearly a year (started in January), 200 posts, over 300 photos and poems on my photoblog.

Maybe I could just take a day, print them all out, bind them, label it "2005", and bury it all in a time capsule (literally or figuratively). I think I've accomplished what I set out to do when I first started: I cleared my mind of random anecdotes and overwhelming life lessons, so now I feel I can clearly write fictional stories without so much personalization.

Yesterday, I was reminded about how lucky I really am. My friend's 1-year-old baby died in a sudden, tragic accident. We had just seen them 3 days ago, and it's hard to believe she's gone. I don't know what more to say on the issue without writing a gushy, overly-personal flow of words and feelings which would later embarrass me. Suffice it to say, compared to this event, I haven't had a bad day in my entire life. This is the kind of thing that ruins people forever. But something still tells me life is good.

3 comments:

gP said...

Dont even think of leaving Mike!

Life is not always certain, but then again were just another part of this universe. So there are events thats beyond our control.

May God Bless the child who died to soon to experience the world.

Stormfilled said...

Perspective can be a horrible thing.

Hard to imagine.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hey GP and Stormfilled:

Thanks for stopping by. Obviously, I've been down over the last couple of days.

I really appreciate both of your comments.

Mike