07 November 2005

Inscribed on a Headstone

When I was about 14, I visited a 100-year-old gravesite, not exceedingly common in North Texas. Most of the tombstones were crumbling and in disarray. One epitaph stuck in my mind--a young woman had died, and her tombstone haunted me--20 years later I can remember it word for word:

The sweet remembrance of the just
Shall fluorish though they sleep in dust

This inscription has haunted my memory like a curse--a spell. It's both blunt and inocuous, but also eerie and remorseful. It used to send shivers up my spine. I could really creep myself out (not too difficult, actually) by lying in bed at night and thinking about that poor girl from so many years ago...

Now, it just makes me sad.

1 comment:

gP said...

The words are deep and haunting. It is traumatic in memories. I think if i read it live like you did, I would be haunted too. The words brings the kind of emotion that seems like the girl would just come back from dead.

Thanx for dropping by at me blog Mike. Yes Ive been gone long, been busy with stuff. Will blog about it soon. But for now I got some poems and stuff up.