13 November 2005

"I'm In Love Again..." --Cole Porter

It had really started to bother me that I couldn't find a good novel to dive into wholeheartedly for several months--I've read a dozen books, but can't get "into" them for some reason. FINALLY, I've run across one that I just can't wait to get to each day: Persuasion, by Jane Austen.

It's my first Austen novel and I believe I am hooked.

But, beware--please notify me if I start to write rigid parlor scenes or tales of odd financial encumbrances into my blog. Examples of past literary influences:

1) Faulkner--earlier this year I read 2 or 3 of his novels in a row and wrote a blog entry entitled "Thank God I'm a Country Boy"

2) Tolstoy--okay, this is a stretch, but I got all worked up and started quoting Dr. Zhivago and referencing "Crime and Punishment". Had to drop this book because it induced narcolepsy.

3) Hemingway--Compared working at a Biological methods workshop to blowing up a bridge in Spain.

4) Shogun--introduced haiku into my blog almost weekly, some serious and some very tongue in cheek.

Notice I don't include links for your ease in mocking me...

At any rate, I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to Jane.

1 comment:

gP said...

Hemm...finding good books are very hard. But yes, Jane is an good writer and she got loads of movies made of her writings.

Im a Sci-Fi guy. But ocassionaly I read some normal fiction. Currently am reading a translated book by the dissident Chinese Author Gao Xing Jian called the 'Soul Mountain'. Hes a nobel prize winner. I usualy go for the nobel winners because of the diverse writing methods and writers.

Have fun Mike.