08 July 2005

Banzai!!!!



Went to see Ryan's swimming lessons--Ryan (my 6-year-old boy) just banzai'd off the diving board like Spider-man. He was so fearless--I was amazed. Most of the other kids just kind of dribbled off the diving board, but Ryan "caught some air." He really listens to me, and last week when we were talking about swimming lessons I told him that, since you are falling into the water anyway, why not jump as high as you can and see what it feels like. I didn't remind him today--he remembered it on his own and came out of the water with a big grin and a thumbs up.

So, driving home, Ryan asks me "Dad, can I go hunting with you sometime?"

I answer, "I can't wait for you to come with me--but would it bother you for us to shoot an animal?"

(long pause)

"Maybe we could go crocodile hunting."

Then...

Tomorrow we are having a neighborhood block party. Ryan asked me whose idea it was to organize the party. I told him it was "Mr. Doug", one of our neighbors.

Ryan asked"Did he do the party because he wanted to thank God for July?"

"No, I think he just wanted to have fun."

"Dad, what's more important? God or fun?"

"Well, I think Mr. Doug was just wanting to have fun and wasn't thinking about thanking God."

"Dad, I think it's for God, and who is more wise, you or me? I think me."

Well, okay--he's got a point.

No comments: