16 July 2005

I See Dead...snakes



My friend, Marty, is compiling a photo book of various roadkill. You'll have to ask him why--I think it started as a joke.

I think it started out being roadkill of Texas, only, but we were on a trip to Oklahoma together and we got some real gross shots that Marty liked. We got out of the car, etc. to make sure the angle was right, or to catch the skidmarks right in front of the flattened corpse. Gross, isn't it.

Sometimes, there isn't a mark on them--just like still life images. Other times, it gets a little gruesome, of course.

I think he's now gone international, with shots from Australia and Africa--maybe even Europe, who knows at this point?

So, the above picture is my contribution.

It goes with my little personal problem of being "haunted" by snakes--unfortunately real, live snakes instead of snake ghosts, though. It's one of those self-fulfilling things where I just accept it like a weight tied around my neck. At this point, I think it's just because I'm looking

To all my friends, I warn you that this is not fodder for jokes. I'm telling you, I'm not responsible for what I do.

Driving toward work, I thought I spotted a dead snake, so I backed up to check. Sure enough, it was run over in the road. I went back to my house to get my camera for Marty's book--I thought it was a fitting contribution from me. I stopped in the road and took a couple of shots from my car window.

Maybe I can autograph the page when his book comes out...

1 comment:

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hey Stevie:

I'm with you! I feel the need to document my encounters with snakes because I was telling people that I see them everywhere and they started recommending strong medication!

Mike