13 August 2005

Lowest Common Denominator


I used to work as a supervisor in a call center, which was a fast-paced, high volume environment. I was going to college, so I usually took the night shift, which started around 1:00 and ended around 9:30. My colleague had just left the company and a new guy was hired from within our department--he had been with the company for about a year, was very, very quiet, but in general a good worker. The job he had was data entry and answering calls according to a script.

Here's what I discovered very shortly: This guy was very, very dumb.

The Peter Principle states that "...people tend to be promoted to the level of their incompetence." Well, that's what we're talking about, here. Scary dumb.

So, we were all trying to make the best of this mistake, and my manager was getting really antsy about being exposed for having made a very hasty, very bad decision. She encouraged me to befriend "Dave" and help show him how to do the job, etc. One of the major obstacles was that Dave didn't want to say anything to anybody. Ever. It was shocking how many questions can be answered with non-verbal communication, but Dave had this down pat. And if the question was too complex, he would just smile, shake his head, look down, and laugh a little. But no answer.

After about a month, it kind of became a challenge to get through to him.

I was supposed to be teaching him about calculating statistics, productivity records, entering them into a computer, documenting problems, talking to employees, and other supervisor-like stuff, but he would just look at me with a blank stare through cow-like eyes. I did check to see if he had opposable thumbs...

I decided to just focus on getting something we could talk about. Anything that would interest him. Maybe I could use it as an analogy to help him learn, something.

Was he into sports? Unh Unh (no)
Do you like cars? (no)
What did you study in (high) school? (blank stare)
Do you like to travel? (no)
Do you have any brothers or sisters? (no)
Girlfriend? (no)--what a shocker, Cyrano.

He was about 21 years old, and had this weird habit of interpreting things as an insult, or at least always considering the possibility that someone was making fun of him. I'm sure it had happened to him a lot growing up. I went to his house one time to give him a ride to work. He lived with his mother, and the apartment was as neat as a pin. She also had every CD ever made by Barry White. I don't mean a copy of each CD, I mean EVERY CD! Thousands! He had a funny last name: Flowers. I asked him if anyone had ever made fun of his last name, and it seemed to make him angry that I had suggested that. He answered a very defensive-sounding "unh unh."

One day, I was trying to show him statistics, and was about to give up. I looked out the window and said "Look at that cloud--it looks like a hamburger."

Dave brightened up and leaned toward the window "It sure does! I can even see tomatoes on it. And there's another one that looks like a tree right next to it."

In his defense: I started it.

But we talked about what the clouds looked like for about 20 minutes. Of course, I was self-conscious, but encouraged that at least we were having the longest conversation that we had ever had. And he seemed so enthusastic about it.

I turned around to see that one of my more cynical employees was standing there snickering at our conversation, and my faced reddened deeply while I answered her question. I'm sure it just further reinforced her image of supervisors of screwing around all day instead of working.

Sadly, Dave and I never hit it off. I even felt bad when he got demoted back to data entry. Sometimes it makes me laugh to think of the lengths it took to find some common ground, even for a fleeting few minutes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Opposable thumbs! And those 'vacant' cow eyes.....LOL!

'though it leads you wonder how many of us are ensnared within an "existence" that surpasses (or comes damn close to) our capacity to compensate for the world's (unnatural) demands....

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Here's my dilemma:

Should we blame Dave for taking a job that was over his head? Isn't he supposed to be ambitious to try things to challenge himself?

Should we blame the manager for taking a chance with this guy? Should she have tested to make sure he had the correct skill set for this new job, especially since it is a totally different set of skills than the old job?

Is nobody responsible for anything at this point?

I tend to be a very ambitious person, and want to stretch my boundaries to the absolute limit--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I wonder if we should just be content with what we've got...

Anonymous said...

Let's not do the blame-game. At least not on individuals. I see a societal more that devalues the individual - especially the "underachiever" to the advancement of the "achiever". The 'Striver' MUST be championed - this draws us forward - but, if we don't look back, extend a hand to those that lag, then we lose something.
Objectivism has a strong hand these days - even tho' most don't know the term - but is a philosophy that espouses discarding the non-producer...

OK, "from each according to their ability; to each according to their need..." a famous edict that stretches back to the Torah...

There MUST be a revitilization of responsibility for our fellow creatures - human and 'beyond'....

ok, blah blah blah....

No, let's not Peter-principle everyone, but let's foster a culture that uses its 'rearview mirror' - and gives a shit about those 'behind' us.

Hate to say it 'cuz others have but - "a hand up is not a hand out"

sorry Mike, I tend to be inane in my posts (and probably here too :) ) but these are issues that strike a chord.

dele if you wish.

cheers

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hey there!

Delete your comment?! I hope you're kidding--I enjoy your posts, so don't worry about that. Besides, I'm glad this made you think because this situation always bothered me.

While I think your idea is somewhat idealistic to be completely incorporated into a for-profit business, I agree that tossing blame around is somewhat counterproductive.

In this case, I would say that Dave was so unqualified that his promotion constituted negligence.

However, if you have ever been in an environment where you always have to politically cover your butt, you are right--it is tiring and sometimes can be infuriating.

I agree that we should push and help those around us to do their best. In this story, Dave put absolutely no effort into his own education, and sat back passively chewing his cud and patting himself on the back for getting such a cushy promotion where he didn't have to do much work.

I don't think that philosophy should ever be rewarded.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment!

Mike

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right about the idealistic cant of my ramblings. The divorce between practical reality and navel-gazing is analogous to the difference between prose and the spoken word - fer cryin' out loud, who talks like this in real life anyway?

And, yes, the situation that you related would've bugged the #$%# outta me too.

cheers