06 August 2005

So Bummed....


I was really hyped up to write about a great movie: "Cool Hand Luke". We have a DVR (digital video recorder, like Tivo--if you have never tried using one, it's AWESOME and addictive)--every time the following movies come on, I record them: Cool Hand Luke, Rudy, Tommy Boy, Run Lola Run.

About 2 years ago, I spent about 10 days working out of town at a workshop with a guy from California. We got along really well--he was a very sharp guy and a hard worker. We got around to talking about Cool Hand Luke and I told him that I thought it was a parallel story, obviously about a guy who builds himself up to fellow prisoners--entertaining enough in itself. The second dimension is that Luke is wide eyed and searching for God with all his heart. This part is somewhat easy to ignore and still take the movie at face value, but I think you miss something if you don't examine it (By the way, this is not BS like my Napoleon Dynamite and Hippo posts). My new friend was kind of blown away and had not seen that dimension to the movie at all, so I thought I had been gifted with super-keen insight.

Briefly, here are some scenes that reinforce this view of this theme in the movie:

1) Cutting the heads of parking meters, which is the offense which sends him to jail: Luke describes it as "Just Settling and old Score"--metaphorically, he is aimlessly rebelling agsint authority--laughing at God and daring him to punish him to prove his existence.

2) The device is skilfully embedded. Different people in authority periodically symbolize God as hard-line auhority and a distant, aloof, unresponsive being. Dragline punching Luke and Luke keeps getting up and coming back--this represents the human spirit, which overcomes adversity. The Big Boss breaks Luke down through senseless tedium of digging a hole and filling it back in. Once Luke sees no purpose, his spirit crumbles.

3) When his mother dies, Luke sings a song including the lines: "I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got that plastic Jesus, sitting on the dashboard in my car..."It reduces faith to an object and trivializes deep feelings to a superstitous talisman.

4) The guys are out on highway duty and it starts to lightning outside--everyone scrambles into the truck, but Luke stands in the rain and looks toward the sky. Dragline asks "Ain't ya scared, Luke?" and Luke shouts at the clouds "Come on, old-timer, here I am! Love me, hate me, just let me know you're there!" I think sometimes I know just how he feels. He wants to have faith, but he needs proof that it isn't useless.

5) One of the great lines of the movie is "What we have here is failure to communicate." In light of the spiritual interpretation, the double meaning is obvious. It is a sad, deep statement that man can't communicate with God.

6) When Luke eats 50 eggs for the enjoyment of his friends, he takes on the role of Christ, sacrificing himself for their entertainment. I've never seen this referred to anywhere: As he is finished and the guys are walking away from him, Luke is laid out on the table with arms outstretched, half-naked, and posed just like a crucifix.

So, I thought I was this wonderful, insightful, philosophical person and I was planning this well thought out blog entry on this (instead of this entry which was just written off the cuff in 15 minutes). I started researching it and found a guy wrote an excellent, scholastically-worded essay on this topic with some better examples than I came up with. Oh, well...jerk.

I mentioned to Fran how I was going to write something about Cool Hand Luke and she says, "Oh, about how Luke is Jesus?" So...maybe I wasn't onto something so obscure after all...

5 comments:

gP said...

Hey Mike, I like old movies too...but pity we dont have Tivo or any digital recording stuff here. But we do get HBO, Cinemax, Star Movies, AXN and Hallmark.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hello Ghost:

Good and Bad regarding Tivo: It's ADDICTIVE!!!

Because: You can scan through the week and pick out what programs you want to watch and set them to record and then watch them at some point in the future.

Or, if you see something that you like and want to record, there is a 1-hour buffer that is recorded at all times, so you can just rewind.

Also, if someone calls or you need to take a break, you can pause live TV and then skip over commercials.

Another thing: Sports games--you can set it to record, start watching an hour late or so, skip over commercials and halftime, and still catch the final few minutes live by the time you catch up.

My non-physicist pea-sized brain didn't intuitively figure this all out until we actually got one--it was like when I watched "Back to the Future" for the first time and needed a pencil and piece of paper to diagram out the space-time continuum.

Now my wife Fran refuses to watch commercials of any kind.

I'm surprised they don't have that in Malaysia--it's just hardware--but I think you need a digital signal like digital satellite--the hardware seems to cost about $100 for 30-60 hours of recording time (it's just a hard drive).

Thanks again for commenting!

Mike

gP said...

Well, its technically banned here, they dont allow digital recording of media here. We have 5 local channels and a Satellite station for a private satelite company.

Anonymous said...

Get your mind right!

Doesn't everyone know that Cool Hand Luke has christian undertones? Do not forget to mention that Luke was also a decorated Vietnam veteran. The inference is he probably killed alot of people. Then in jail he challenges god to show himself, and god takes his mother. So there is also a message of being a good christian and not being blasphemous, or you'll get God's vengeance.

What do you think the big snapping turtle that the man with no eyes shot represented?

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Yes, I'm trying to get my mind right.

So...if the man with no eyes is God, no, what, the punishment of God, and the turtle, what, has a shell, reflexively bites and hangs on, destroyed. And Professor Plum did it in the Conservatory with a pitchfork...

Okay, I have concluded that the turtle has no meaning. Thanks for playing.

Mike