17 September 2005

The Silvery Full Moon


We got home tonight, and it was time for Ryan, my 6-year-old boy, to go to bed. We were sitting in my office and we both noticed the beautiful, full moon. I had my camera and tripod next to me so we both decided to set up--I told Ryan he could take the pictures, then I grabbed my wife's little digital snapshot camera to document that Ryan was actually doing the shooting.

I think we may enter his beautiful shot in his school's art contest--we'll have to see how it turns out when we blow it up...

It's almost not fair, I think because I work (kind of) with photography every day, so I really want the project to be his. The thing that I think is cool is that he really has a good eye and frames things well, and isn't intimidated by the equipment.

The beautiful full moon made everything silver around us--it reminded me of a poem which I will try to find...



Silver

Slowly, silently, now the moon
Walks the night in her silver shoon;
This way, and that, she peers, and sees
Silver fruit upon silver trees;
One by one the casements catch
Her beams beneath the silvery thatch;
Couched in his kennel, like a log,
With paws of silver sleeps the dog;
From their shadowy cote the white breast peep
Of doves in silver-feathered sleep;
A harvest mouse goes scampering by,
With silver claws and a silver eye;
And moveless fish in the water gleam,
By silver reeds in a silver stream.


-- Walter de la Mare

4 comments:

gP said...

Hey Mike, that is a great poem, they dont write like that anymore...

I saw the silver moon too, its full moom yesterday.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hey GP:

Thanks for stopping by and for your always-positive comments!

You know, they don't write poetry like that anymore, do they? But we've got to keep trying...

Hope you have a great week!

Mike

Stormfilled said...

That really is a gorgeous moon, ours was large and fat, but lacked the silvery sparkle that yours had.

If you like De La Mare, have you read much Gerard Manley Hopkins? Fantastic for reading out loud to small people.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hi Stormfilled:

Reading your writing is like drinking fine wine--it's just wonderful!

Thanks for your comments and poetry suggestions--they are very welcome.

Aside: You mentioned Pride and Prejudice--our daughter Kaitlyn's middle name is Elizabeth after Elizabeth Bennett (my wife Fran's insistence).

Mike