29 September 2005

Star Trails in South Texas


I guess it's due to the rotation of the earth, but if you can program your camera to take a long exposure, you can get a "star trail" photo showing a circular pattern.

We were all out hunting in South Texas, and the stars in the sky were fantastic! No big city lights for miles, and we were staying in a shack in the middle of nowhere. When the lights went out it was freaky (2 mountain lions, very rare for this part of the country, were spotted less than half a mile away). The darkness felt like a cloak being thrown over you, with the salvation of looking up and seeing the blanket of stars above.

My buddy, Mike D, is a very good photographer--I would say he's a professional-quality photographer, which to me is someone who turns the dials on their camera and actually knows what it's going to do when it stops on something (I call my blind roulette method "artistic"). So he was going through the steps on creating a star trail. I asked him if he could help me take such a picture with my camera (exactly the same as his).

I actually wanted him to teach me how to do it, but there's one thing about Mr. Mike D.--he's somewhat impatient, especially when someone like me is trying to soak in what I'm being shown about all these features on my camera-it's almost like he feels that I'm not worthy of all the technology I possess in my hands (okay, maybe I'm not)--but he ended up ripping the camera out of my hands and rapidly setting it up for the exposure.

So he programmed his remote control keypad thingie to operate mine so we could start the exposure without having to physically touch the camera--that way there won't be be any vibration.

We went outside, risking our lives against being a mountain lion hors d' ourve, in the pitch blackness, feeling our way around, so we wouldn't contaminate our photos with stray light.

We set the digital camera menu for a long exposure--manually activated and deactivated.

We set the ISO speed to a very sensitive setting so it would pick up the dim starlight.

We laid the whole apparatus gingerly on the roof of my car, taking the risk that the $1200 camera wouldn't fall.

Once we triggered the exposure to begin, we slinked off back inside to wait it out and let the exposure reveal the movement of the earth and make a beautiful swirling pattern. I felt like a gold miner setting a charge of dynamite, blowing open a rock formation, and then going back to see if there is any gold revealed.

When we went back out, Mike snatched the camera, looked at the exposure, and said, "No, this one's no good." He reset some settings on the camera and we lit the fuse and then tiptoed quietly back inside.

We waited it out another 15-20 minutes and then grabbed the camera and went back inside.

That's when I noticed that, in his hurry to get all the settings right, disgusted by my lack of know-how with my camera, Mr. World-Class African Safari Photographer had left the lens cap on my camera! Twice! I knew he would be very irritated about that--of course it was my fault, too! I hope to God he's reading this one!

Here's a real shot of a star trail below (taken by Mr. Mike D himself):

8 comments:

Stormfilled said...

Oooh pretty! I love stars. A friend of mine has a mega telescope that magnifies so hugely that you have to keep moving it to keep up with the Earth. That feeling of being of being so very, very tiny.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hi Stormfilled!

Thanks for stopping by! BTW, I first found your blog by searching under "archery", by the way--I have a handmade longbow and I've been shooting (and teaching) since I was very young! (but I don't care for compound bows).

Regarding that "feeling"--On a dark, starry night, I've been able to give myself "reverse vertigo" by shining a flashlight into the sky and staring---I felt like, if I let it go, it would float straight up into the stars...

Always enjoy your comments!

Mike

gP said...

wow, nice shot...should try it someday...but we have a dense cloud cover here so its hard to capture stars unless its a really clear summer sky.

Stormfilled said...

Hurrah for archery! I shoot a tradional recurve hunter. It's laminate, sadly, but shoots nicely. Mum's the trad longbow maniac, she's off at the Championships this weekend. Compound bows are ridiculous and should be banned. Though it does make me laugh when you see the prats shooting them with their stupid string kissing thing *snork*. They're always shot by idiots who won't shoot in the rain. Wusses.

Anonymous said...

For those of us who know the author well, anyone would have assumed he had lost the lens cap months before, and therefore it would have not been on the camera anyway (you should see his "camera bag")!

All jokes aside, it was pretty dark, and one camera was busy capturing star trails - we certainly couldn't ruin the exposure by turning a light on...funny discovery.

Finally: if the lens cap was on, what is the purple blob in the upper-left corner of the picture? I know but i'm not telling.

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Mike D!

Thanks for reading, and for the comment--How in the hell did you manage a (well-earned) shot at my organization skills?

Anyway, don't worry, buddy--I thought it was a funny scene, almost Alfred Hitchcock-like, to sook at the crappy photo when we walked inside the house after waiting and waiting, then slowly turning the camera over to see the lens cap firmly in place.

BTW, here are my 5 possible excuses for the purple blob:

1) Ghost images of Tinkie Winkie from "Teletubbies on Ice"

2) The moth man from "The Mothman Prophecies" (saw it for the first time the other day and it scared the crap out of me).

3) Jelly?

4) Stray, overpowering light from a nearby UFO landing.

5) Noise in the system averaged out to "purple" by the noise reduction algorithm.

Remember: You're the expert! Thanks for letting me use your star trail picture...

Anonymous said...

endless number of these wonderful finds, what with the Internet being a vast network of constantly evolving ideas and all!

Mike's Drumbeats said...

Hey Anonymous!

Thanks, er, I think anyway....

Mike