16 May 2005

Church Chat

Here's something interesting I heard from a preacher about 6 months ago. Since I can still remember it, it must have some kind of meaning to me.

He told a story about a couple who had been married 60 years, and at their anniversary, someone asked them what their secret was. The man answered, "It's really easy to love somebody when they're doing everything that you want them to. Loving somebody means that you still love them when they're hard to be around."

Listen up, Fran--you know, I may NEVER learn to pick my clothes up off the floor...

Here's another one:

Two preacher's wives were sitting next to each other mending their husbands' clothes.

The first one tells the other, "My husband can't believe the good things that are happening--attendance is up, we're putting in a new building, we were able to send extra money to an orphanage that we are sponsoring, and people seem to be happier."

The other one says, "Really? My husband has been so depressed. Attendance is low, he's having problems with the church board, and he's thinking about quitting."

The first woman was patching the knees of a pair of pants. The second was mending the seat.

So...that story stuck with me for several years. Yesterday, I was looking at a pile of clothes for Fran to sew for me--I had popped open the seam of the crotch on 3 pairs of pants.

What exactly does this say about me?

No comments: