26 May 2005

Idiotic things I did today

1) It was a funny idea to translate something from English into multiple languages and back into English. What wasn't funny was using something that really only I could recognize. I should have done something like "The Star-Spangled Banner" or something everyone would know.

2) Someone from work really got under my skin yesterday. I was supposed to work with him today. Instead of a) calling him up and yelling at him or b) showing up and kicking his ass, I decided to c) send him an Email telling him about all the complex projects I was working on and how I didn't appreciate his tone yesterday. Then, every time he called today, I sent him to voicemail and let him stew on it. Eventually, at 5:00 PM, I answered and he apologized, saying I misinterpreted his tone. This reminds me of the king that stood outside the popes castle for several days in the snow to apologize so he would be un-excommunicated (or whatever). How chicken-shit is that (for me to do)?

3) I went to go get equipment for a big demonstration for tomorrow. It wasn't there. I realized I had loaned it to someone. Whoops! Guess I can make an early tee-time now...

4) Another fellow employee is transferring some of his accounts to me (against his will). He left me messages to call his customers. I feel awkward about it, so I just waited until now they think their new sales rep sucks.

5) My desk is messy. Instead of cleaning it up, I decided to clean out my desk drawers and pile more crap on top of the crap that was already there...

6) I let myself get "time-transferred" today. It's a Fran stealth maneuver that's hard to counteract: If you commit to something, she transfers that commitment to something else: Here's an example: Let's go out to eat at (my favorite place). Her response: Well, let's go out, but to (my least favorite place)--see? taking the commitment and transferring it without permission. Today: Maybe I could take Ryan and his friend hiking this weekend. Tranferred (unauthorized) to: I made the arrangments, but instead of hiking, you're taking them to the (stinky, crowded, annoying, loud, inconvenient, freakin' expensive) batting cages to practice for their baseball game.

7) Went from 92 outstanding Emails to 8. Now I'm back up to 18.

8) Went to Ryan's baseball game. I agreed to help out in the dugout to keep the urchins from killing each other while the coachs help the players on the field--I've been asked to do it before, and it's the crappiest job possible, because you are in a position to verbally correct the players, but you aren't a coach and both the parents and kids don't respect you (perhaps rightfully so...). There are a couple of particularly bad ones who pretty much tell you to shove it (at age 6!). When the coach asked me to help, I replied "Sure, I'd be happy to help, but I'm not going to fuss at the kids--I'm going to tell them what to do, but I'm not going to chase them around like an idiot if they don't behave." The coach laughed at me and said, "Well, if it gets to that point, don't worry--I'll yell at them!" I felt a little foolish saying that, but it sure took the weight off my shoulders. FYI--MY son behaved!

9) Don: "I read your blog. I saw that list of random words and thought to myself 'he's just trying to take up more of my time..."

Me: "That was a poem."

Don: "Oh."

Still, not too bad a day!

~~~M~~~

No comments: