28 May 2005

SETI

It's been said that writing is like sending radio waves out into space--you don't realize who is listening and how it affects them.

I loved the movie Contact, for various reasons (not a big Jodie Foster fan, and the more I see of Matthew Macauonoaughaaay, the less I like him). But, the movie premise is as cool as it gets and I really like the psychological aspects of the dilemma that the characters find themselves in. If you haven't seen it, it's worth a rental.

Anyway, all that to say that I just keep telegraphing my messages out there--some of them are stupid, I know, and some of them I back away from quickly because I don't want anyone to know that's how I really feel--maybe I don't want to defend my position.

"I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world..." (Whitman, also in Dead Poet's Society).

Then sometimes there is a response--like the huge dish receivers in the movie.

"Womp womp womp..."

It gets my heart pumping when someone mentions that they read something and liked it, or it described the way they feel precisely.

That's where I end today.

No comments: